3/14/2009

SINGAPORE DAY 4

So last night we went to an area of town called CLARKE QUAY, it's kinda the hot club/lounge area of town but first we went to a Japanese joint for some eats. The thing about YUMEYA is that it's also a Sake Bar and I'm talking about 300 different kinds of Sake... wow. Now, I'm not the biggest Sake drinker but who am I to argue and believe it or not, this was some of the smoothest Sake I've ever had and have it I did. The food was fantastic as well, they have all the usual japanese fare but two dishes really stood out: the Chicken Karrage was so flavorful and light and the Popcorn Shrimp were actually little fried full shrimp. At first I was like "no way, I can eat the head and legs of a shrimp" but I was wrong, they were so crispy and tasty. We sat outside which was quite cool (thanks to the rain from the afternoon) and watched all the people on Muhammad Sultan Road (awesome name). I met a few of Aamir's co-workers who told me that this was a great area to live in, big places, dog friendly, lots of amenities within walking distance... nice. Good sell job all around!

After dinner we moved to a lounge called THE DOUBLE O which is a pool hall, bar and live music dance joint, I almost got denied since I was wearing shorts but I played the "foreigner" card. Steve however didn't make it as he was wearing shorts and sandals, he had to head back to his hotel to get some shoes. We drank, played pool and hung out for a few hours before calling it a night.

This morning I awoke with a slight hangover but luckily the Canucks were playing at 10am (or Friday night pm for you all) so as I listened to the game online, I got ready and confirmed my flight for tomorrow morning. At noon, I met up with Aamir and finally got to meet his wife Denise in person (she's awesome), we hooked up with some of their friends and went for Dim Sum.

Seven of us went for some of the best Dim Sum I've had in my life at this place called ASIA GRAND and after that monstrous meal (including Chicken Feet & Peking Duck), the walking tour began, we hit BRAS BASAH, THE NATIONAL LIBRARYARAB ROAD, PARKVIEW SQUARE, THIEVES MARKET, LITTLE INDIA, THE FINE ARTS SCHOOL and SIM LIM SQUARE. Wow, lots to soak in other than sweat and man was it hot. I was sweatin' to the oldies and a belly full of food didn't help matters much but it was great to see more of the city.

Tonight is my final night of adventure before an early morning flight and the long trek home.

More tomorrow....

No comments: