4/07/2009

I HAVE MET THE ENEMY

For eons, I have been afraid of spiders, deathly afraid. So much so, I have developed a type of "spider-sense" which allows me to "feel" when I am in the vicinity of say a house, wolf or recluse spider. I know when those bastards are lurking, ready to jump onto my face and drink from my eyes.

For years, we have lived with a shaky peace, they stay in their dank, dark corners and I stay everywhere else, it's been good. Well now, the Kingdom of the Spiders have upped the ante and like the next generation of terminators, they have unleashed a new terror to deal with!

This is the Assassin Spider. It lives in Southern Africa and – surprise! – Australia.

You know what? All of the horrifying animals native to this country sure go a long way toward explaining their national motto: “Australia: Even though nature vomited monsters all over this barren isle of Lovecraftian horror, we fucking live here anyway, because we just don’t give a shit.”

But I digress. While the Assassin Spider may look a little sinister in that picture up there - as though it is plotting some sort of nefarious scheme to finally do away with that pesky Superman - that’s not why it made the list. This is:


See, the Assassin Spider is named for the uniquely long neck that separates its head from its thorax which, in conjunction with its proportionally gigantic venom-coated fangs - up to ten times the size of a normal spider - allow it to strike like a snake does: It snaps its elongated neck out and uses those forward-thrust mandibles to spear potential prey.

So hey, fucking check that shit out!

It’s a spider with a spring-loaded giraffe neck, which it uses to hurl its unearthly face (topped with disproportionately large venomous fangs) out at you like a grappling hook made out of my childhood nightmares!

Awesome.

Yes, that is fantastic news that something like this abomination exists. I love not sleeping for the rest of my life. I’m so glad I have an excuse to do that now. Michelle is not afraid of spiders but I bet she would break into a cold sweat if she saw this devil coming at us. Me? I'd probably slip into a brain-dead coma right then and there.

Welcome to the world Assassin Spider, I hate to meet you.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

What about this Singaporean spider? http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/spiders/pics/1023.jpg

Freaky.

CORSIWORLD said...

Freaky yes, but none of the Singapore Spiders launch their heads from their bodies with fangs 10x the normal size!

Yikes!!!

Kim said...

Ha ha ha ha! HA HA HA!
It's definitely a nasty looking little creature. You're funny when you're scared out of your mind:)

BEADLE said...

You need to write a book. I'd love to read your reviews of other spiders. HAHAHA !

your pal,
Beadle

MrForbz said...

Stop using the internet... you are only going to scare yourself more