6/15/2011

HEARTBREAKER

On the day before the VANCOUVER CANUCKS played Game #7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I wrote the following on my Facebook page...

For us in Singapore, it's the morning before the big game, the final battle for the Stanley Cup and for me, I've been waiting 17 years for this moment. While I've always followed the Canucks (thanks Dad), I really got into Hockey when the boys made their famous run in the 90's and lost to the Rangers. From that moment on I was hooked and for 17 years, I've been following faithfully - the end of the Bure era, the mess of Messier, the return of Linden, the debacle of Cloutier, the brief appearance of Esa Tikkanen, the maroon jerseys, the disappointing appearance of Mats Sundin, the rise of the Sedins. I've supported it, I've lived it and I've loved it and now we are all 24 hours away from what is sure to be an epic game, win or lose, I am glad I stayed a fan.

Win or lose, I am still a Canuck.

Win or lose I will be there next season!

Win or lose, ah fuck it, win it all boys! WIN IT ALL!!!

Go Canucks go!

Then Game #7 happened and I was heartbroken. An amazing season with broken records, trophies won and sights set high all brought down like a tumbling house of cards in one game... the most important game. It's a tough loss, made even tougher because we were outplayed and out-goaltended from beginning to end, Canucks lost 4-0. It's the most bitter pill to swallow.

It was a fantastic season overall but a disappointing end. I am still a diehard fan and I will follow faithfully next year. You did me proud Canucks, I just wish the result of the final game could have been different. Go Canucks go!

No comments: