9/02/2009

GIO'S MOVIE ROUND-UP: AUGUST '09

HARRY POTTER & THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
  • Good, very good... but not great. Three is still my favorite. This one was entertaining but long and the mystery of "the Half-Blood Prince" was no mystery at all, it was reduced to a few lines of dialogue at the beginning, middle and end of the flick, no mystery at all. Still, entertaining and I must admit, I am glad that ALL the actors stuck with the series since the beginning. It will be cool to follow them until the end.
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS UP
GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT (BLU-RAY DVD)
  • DC continues to impress with its animated line as FIRST FLIGHT chronicles the origin and inaugural adventure of my favorite DC character, Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern. A great story (a mix of the classic origin and recent events like "the Sinestro Corps" from modern comics), solid voice acting and decent animation with the right amount of space violence make this a memorable animated movie that I am sure to watch again!
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS UP
G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA
  • It finally happened, my childhood has finally come to an end with the disaster that is G.I.JOE. If this movie was called anything other than G.I.JOE it would have been a light, cheesy, action romp with some over-the-top sequences. Instead we get this abortion that has nothing to do with all the cool comics and cartoons we grew up with. Snake Eyes has lips? Duke & Baroness used to date? Ripcord is a comedian? Brenden Fraser is Gung Ho? Cobra Commander wears a plastic halloween mask? Dear god, what happened to G.I.JOE??? The story was awful, the FX were subpar and the whole film should be avoided if you are a fan of the original source material. If I can pull anything out of it, at least Storm Shadow was cool.
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS DOWN
THE PROPOSAL
  • Time to speak some truth, I like Sandra Bullock romcoms, they make me smile. Another truth, I think Ryan Reynolds is funny, don't believe me? Check out JUST FRIENDS, it still makes me laugh. Put these two together and it's romcom gold as far as I am concerned. I laughed a lot in this flick, she plays a Canadian bitch, he plays a spineless American and well, you can guess what happens. It may not be that original but it works
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS UP
WATCHMEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT (BLU-RAY DVD)
  • So beautiful to look at, so boring to watch. What a disappointment, everything about it is fantastic except the overall movie, WATCHMEN truly is the unfilmable comic book and Alan Moore has the last laugh on us all.
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS DOWN
THE HANGOVER
  • This is a funny, funny movie and lookee here Hollywood. No a-list stars, no crazy special effects, no huge marketing tie in, just a good funny story with some memorable characters. How did that happen? Bottom line, it's fun and it makes me miss Vegas.
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS UP
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (BLU-RAY DVD)
  • "When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • GIO'S OPINION: THUMBS WAY UP

No comments: